Radio and TV Dramaturgy and Scriptwriting – Field of study catalogue JAMU
Radio and TV Dramaturgy and Scriptwriting
The field’s concept is based on the assumption that the professions of television and radio dramaturge and screenwriter require both specialised training and a broader erudition in the field of cultural history, mass communication and a diverse range of artistic and journalistic genres.
The aim of this education is to create dramaturges and screenwriters who are technically skilled as well as thoughtful and artistically creative. Therefore, in addition to lectures on the creation of works from the radio and television genres, the study programme also includes courses focused on the social context of mass media and culture in general, film typology and its history, art criticism and selected chapters from poetics and literary history. In creative writing seminars and in learning about media genres, students are systematically led towards independent attempts at creating journalistic, prose and dramatic works. Special attention is paid to radio and television adaptations of literary works.
Studies within the Faculty of Theatre will enable students to experience and discover a number of other fields of dramatic arts, their events and projects; they will also meet with public-service media personalities.
After successfully completing his/her studies the graduate is able to:
- they are aware of the ethical dimension of artistic cognition, discovery and creation;
- they are aware of the risks of media manipulation and the resulting creative responsibility;
- they reflect current developments in the media sphere;
- they can use the basic terminology of the field in a qualified manner in their first language, as well as in an acquired second language;
- they are able to work in a team on a professional level;
- they have a notion of the importance of the individual components of the television and radio implementation teams;
- they independently acquire additional professional knowledge, skills and competences mainly on the basis of practical experience and its evaluation, but also by active study of theoretical knowledge;
- they relate the theory and practice of the field, they are able to put different theoretical approaches into context;
- they use their imagination and rationality in a targeted and effective way to benefit their message.
The graduates are prepared for screenwriting practice with a wide range of applications – radio, television and film projects, periodical and standalone programmes, drama, journalism and documentary production. In the field of radio documentary and journalistic production, they are able to create comprehensive original programmes (theme, screenplay, direction, technical execution – recording, editing). In the field of audiovisual production, the graduates are prepared to work in implementation teams as screenwriters or dramaturges with practical experience in the field of camera, editing and sound recording. They are equipped for quick and fast work in media, as well as for independent creative projects. Their language proficiency allow the graduates to find employment at the international level.
Students must enrol in and complete courses marked as the field basics. They supplement their study plan with personal specialisation courses from the offer of their studio and the Faculty of Theatre.
Successful completion of all courses marked as the field’s basic courses.
Acquisition of at least 180 credits.
Contents and scope of the final examination
State examination in Radio and Television Dramaturgy and Screenwriting
Defence of the bachelor’s graduation project
Defence of the bachelor’s thesis