Theatre Management focusing on management and technology – Field of study catalogue JAMU
Theatre Management focusing on management and technology
The bachelor’s degree field of study Theatre Management is guaranteed by the Studio of Theatre Management and Stage Technology in two qualification specialisations: Production Management and Stage Management and Technology. It educates experts for the organisational-operational and technical-operational components of theatres, cultural and artistic institutions and entities operating in the field of creative industries, with prime emphasis on the “former theatre network of the Czech Republic” in terms of its transformation process. The field of study draws on the benefits of student creative teams, which consist of students from various fields of Faculty of Theatre JAMU and which test their theoretical knowledge together and confront their professional focus in school art projects. As it evolved, the bachelor’s degree field of study Theatre Management gradually reached a point where it combines theoretical, practical and applied subjects which are interconnected in individual courses. In practice, this means that the teachers of theoretical courses are well aware of the practical art projects in which students of both specialisations participate and they are thus able to utilise immediate practical knowledge in theoretical teaching.
After successfully completing his/her studies the graduate is able to:
- they are able to name a problem and choose and defend their own procedures;
- they can work in a team and effectively communicate with its members;
- they are able to take responsibility for their tasks;
- they know how to manage their own time, they are able to systematically and efficiently organise their tasks and activities;
- they are aware of the ethical dimension of artistic discovery and cognition and can take it into account in the work of a production and stage manager;
- they are the leading personalities of a creative team, an equal partner to the director in creation of the stage, sound and light components of an art project, using their technical knowledge, skills and creativity.
stage production manager;
head of artistic and technical operations;
stage implementation manager for theatre projects;
stage implementation manager of theatrical productions in non-theatrical spaces;
festival technical manager (theatre, music or other);
owning and working for an agency in their field;
self-sufficient lighting technician
self-sufficient sound technician
chief lighting technician
chief sound technician
Students must enrol in and complete courses marked as the field basics. They supplement their study plan with personal specialisation courses from the offer of their studio and the Faculty of Theatre.
Successful completion of all courses marked as the field’s basic courses.
Acquisition of at least 180 credits.
Contents and scope of the final examination
History of Theatre
History of Czech Theatre
Theatre Operation (law for stage managers, theatre operation, OSH and fire safety, electrical regulations)
Defence of the bachelor’s thesis
Defence of the graduation performance and written documentation of performance