Dance and movement theater and education – Field of study catalogue JAMU
Dance and movement theater and education
Studies in the bachelor’s degree field of study Dance and Movement Theatre and Education are conceived in the combined form, taking place in weekend blocks, 10 times per academic year and in workshops, with the aim of educating the student to become a teacher-creator. The role of a teacher in the field of dance is not separable from creative work in this field, so it is necessary that the education of dance or movement education teachers is more closely linked to the support and development of creativity of Dance and Movement Theatre and Education field graduates. Emphasis is placed on the development of expressive skills in movement and dance and the primary task is to teach dance as an experience that contributes to life philosophy and lifestyle. The concept of the studies is unified in taking into account the personal pedagogical and creative individualities. It includes the acquisition of basic knowledge in the field of methodologies of individual dance techniques and movement disciplines and theoretical and historical education in the field of dramatic arts with emphasis on dance and movement theatre; it also emphasises personal and creative approach to pedagogical and creative activities in dancing.
The basic objective of the bachelor’s degree field of study Dance and Movement Theatre and Education is to create a teacher-creator who is capable of pedagogical and creative approach to dance art and dance and movement education. The studies aim to make dance and movement education an extraordinary educational tool with the possibility of developing everyone’s holistic personality. Such teach-creator can adapt his or her pedagogical and creative approach, i.e. the approach to education and creation in the field of dance and movement theatre, to the needs of the relevant age group: future professional dancers, art school students, amateur interest groups or primary and secondary school students enrolled in dance and movement courses.
Graduates of the bachelor’s degree field of study Dance and Movement Theatre and Education are able to teach dance as a complex artistic experience – not merely apply the methodologies of dance techniques and other movement disciplines.
After successfully completing his/her studies the graduate is able to:
- they are aware of the ethical dimension of artistic discovery and cognition through dance and movement across age and social groups that enter the world of dance and movement theatre;
- they are able to independently single out a problem of the field in practice and proceed according to the appropriate subject-area methodology and choose the optimal procedure for its solution;
- they are well versed in the professional terminology of the field of dance, even in a foreign language (e.g. classical dance – French and Russian, modern dance – English, etc.);
- they emphasise the development of one’s ability to express through movement and dance and the promotion of dance education as an experience that contributes to life philosophy and lifestyle;
- they are able to lead a dance or movement theatre group;
- they are fully aware of the inseparability of the teacher’s role in the field of dance art from the creative activities in this field;
- they independently acquire additional professional knowledge, skills and competences mainly on the basis of practical experience and its evaluation, but also by active study of theoretical knowledge;
- they use theoretical knowledge in their activities, which they are able to handle in a creative way and recognise their connections with other artistic disciplines;
- they make use of their personal, pedagogical and creative individuality and emphasise a personal and creative approach to pedagogical and creative work in the field of dance art and dance and movement theatre with regard to individual pedagogical or arti
Lecturer of dance and movement
Theatre lecturer for dance and movement
Students must enrol in and complete courses marked as the field basics. They supplement their study plan with personal specialisation courses from the offer of their studio.
Successful completion of all courses marked as the field’s basic courses.
Acquisition of at least 180 credits.
Contents and scope of the final examination
Methodologies of dance techniques and didactics of dance and movement education
Defence of the bachelor’s thesis
Defence of the bachelor’s graduation project