Theatre and Education – Field of study catalogue JAMU
Theatre and Education
Studies in this field aim to create professionals with artistic and pedagogical education and practical experience for the needs of basic art education, for the gradual introduction of additional dramatic education in primary schools and drama in grammar schools and for a wide range of leisure activities, especially amateur theatre played by children, youth and adults, for the area of theatre activities of groups with special needs, for various types of theatre education (courses, seminars, theatre workshops, teaching activities in the field of amateur theatre, etc.). The field also focuses on research into the use of theatre activities in the field of pedagogy, especially in the field of theatre in education (forum theatre, participatory theatre, theatre productions projects), amateur theatre and the possibility of including dramatic art in general primary and secondary education.
Graduates of this field should be able to creatively use their education and practice in existing professions, but at the same time strive for the emergence of new opportunities for the field’s application in practice. The aim of the field is to educate independent creative personalities who can also work in the field of further education of teachers (courses and workshops for teachers of primary schools, art schools and pedagogical secondary schools, leaders of ensembles and interest groups).
The field intensively cooperates with other artistic and pedagogical fields of the Faculty of Theatre both in designing the studies and creating study plans, as well as in the field of research science.
After successfully completing his/her studies the graduate is able to:
- they are able to independently define a complex practical or theoretical problem and solve it in a creative way using selected theories, methods, procedures or forms of the field, including critical reflection – such as designing a curricular document fo
- they can work with a specific group of amateurs (children, youth, adults) to create an original theatrical work with a significant creative contribution of the group (utilising the possibilities and potential of the group);
- they can create an original, publicly presentable original theatrical work, or interpret a dramatic text in an inspiring way so that the resulting work is based on the needs, conditions, possibilities, specifics or goals of a specific group of amateurs;
- they can, based on the group’s requirements and possibilities, design, effectively lead and reflect on an educational programme focused on drama or theatre in education, a workshop, seminar, project or other forms for a group of non-academic participants
- they are able not only to conceive and lead a group in the process of creation, but above all to flexibly adapt the creative staging process and dramaturgical-directing concept (theatrical form, shape) to the possibilities and conditions of a particular
- they are able to lead a non-academic group (without professional education) in professional education;
- they are able to independently prepare, implement and reflect on a show of amateur theatre or a performance at the regional or national level (taking care of the organisational, financial and managerial matters);
- when solving practical issues of the field and creating outputs, they use the acquired knowledge, basic procedures and methods of the field in a way that brings inspiring stimuli, dealing with the problem using creative solutions, they look for original
- they have mastered the basic skills needed for theatrical production and are ready to develop them in specific groups of amateurs;
- they are able to theoretically process in written expression and depict in an artistic performance a certain topic on a professional level using an independently chosen method;
- they present the original artistic performance of their own or the whole team to the public, even at an international forum, and are ready to take full responsibility for the group’s efforts.
teacher of drama in education or a drama-related field at primary schools and grammar schools
teacher of literary drama at art schools
teacher of drama in education at pedagogical secondary school and pedagogical lyceii
theatre lecturer in professional theatres
lecturer in amateur theatres
Students must enrol in and complete courses marked as the field basics. They supplement their study plan with personal specialisation courses from the offer of the Theatre and Education Studio and the Faculty of Theatre.
Successful completion of all courses marked as the field’s basic courses.
Acquisition of at least 120 credits.
Contents and scope of the final examination
Theory of theatre
Theory of the theatre field and education
Defence of the diploma thesis
Defence of the graduation project